Migration - Joomla 1.5 - 2.5.1 - Running through the JUpgrade process

Running through the JUpgrade process

This process is quite interesting if you are a bit of a closet geek. If you are not one, then this will be as entertaining as watching paint dry. The page at http://docs.joomla.org/Tutorial:Migrating_from_Joomla_1.5_to_Joomla_1.6 will show you screenshots and how to complete some of the things in this part of the migration process. You will notice when you load the JUpgrade component that you have the option to migrate straight to 2.5.x, from my limited experience and exposure to this particular upgrade path I did the foolish thing and decided "hell, why not go straight to 2.5.x it will save me time"... All I can say is "WRONG!!!!!" it sucked and failed miserably in my development environment. I had to delete the upgrade files created and start this process again. Not fun. On the second time round I ended upgrading to "Molajo" which was some beta of 1.6. That was ok. It worked without issue and just meant I was forced to take a step by step approach.

Once Molajo was installed I then progressed to the next phase of the installation. I logged in to the administration area of the website. I then mentally created a process of things I had to do. This included getting the site template first. I had a custom template which I had built sometime ago. It was not an overly complex template so it didn't take me as long as say one from a template club would. This process ended up taking about 1.5 hours to complete as there was code I ended up having to rewrite for the most effective upgrade of the template was taken.

Once I did that I had to install the template again through the extensions manager followed by reactivating it as the default. This is not a hard process but one of the things that has changed is the ability for the templates to be manually installed. This has many positive benefits which I wont cover but as a developer I can say that it is logical and actually something which I feel should have reared its head in 1.5.x.

Finally I got to see how the site looked. While for most people they may have been disappointed in a big way I wasn't overly surprised as it was something that most would expect if they have done upgrades like this on other software. This being said it was not as bad as other software I have used in the past.

From there I started looking at certain aspects of the site and I feel now that I shouldn't have worried about it too much as it would have most likely changed once I got in to the testing phase later on.