Migration - Joomla 1.5 - 2.5.1 - Installing the latest versions of Joomla, the components, modules and plugins running on your site

Installing the latest versions of Joomla, the components, modules and plugins running on your site

One very very cool feature that was introduced in to the Joomla 1.6 range was the integrated upgrade feature. This is one thing that will eliminate a huge chunk of the upgrade process in to the future. Not being new to Joomla 1.6 I went straight to the extensions manager and did a search for the latest upgrades. Sure enough the 2.5.1 upgrade was listed. Now this was where it got a little fun to say the least. I attempted to do an upgrade but due to a known bug with the upgrade process I was not able to do the upgrade directly. I in turn posted in to the Joomla Bug Tracker a post explaining the upgrade issue and while I was fairly positive it had been documented. I figured I would post it there just to be safe. Sure enough it had been documented as a known issue it just had not been applied as yet so it may still apply when you read this post.

The solution and information relating to this is below. It will take a bit of effort if you do not understand the upgrade process and where the database files are stored you will find them in the /administrator/components/com_admin/sql/updates folder.

in the file 1.7.0-2011-06-06-2.sql 

ALTER TABLE `#__languages` ADD COLUMN `ordering` int(11) NOT NULL default 0
AFTER `published`;
ALTER TABLE `#__languages` ADD INDEX `idx_ordering` (`ordering`);

Please note you could make this file redundant for this update as the columns
already exist.
Continuing on performing this update I have received the following:

Duplicate column name 'sitename' SQL=ALTER TABLE `j17_languages` ADD COLUMN
`sitename` varchar(1024) NOT NULL AFTER `metadesc`;
SQL =

ALTER TABLE `#__languages` ADD COLUMN `sitename` varchar(1024) NOT NULL AFTER
`metadesc`;

FIX: Remove the file 1.7.3-2011-10-19.sql

There are a couple of more small ones that popped up but you will quickly work these out. It was just a matter of scanning through the sql files. Once I had made the corrections the upgrade went straight through and before I knew it I was at 2.5.1. Now for the fun part reinstalling components!

This process was just more of a time related issue rather than a hassle. I was even able to export most of the settings from the original component installation in the Joomla 1.5.x installation so that made things quicker in relation to ensuring the settings where exactly the way they were originally.

After all of this was completed I was ready to progress to the testing phase.